Saturday 24 April 2010

Dinosaur pop-ups




















I've just received this from Corina Fletcher, the brilliant paper engineer who designed all the pop-up mechanisms for the Dinosaurs of Doom book that I finished a few weeks ago. She's printed out my files and dummied up the whole book to make sure that everything works as it should. And the good news is that it does, so no last minute tweaks needed!
To show you the levels of complexity we had to go to, the image below is the illustration I did for just one of the four back panels of the final 360 degree pop-up. A good deal of it is obscured by other features as well, but I had to put in this amount of detail because there are so many cut outs in the panels at the front. Part of the reason this was a long old job!

1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable Mike! Really amazing piece of work, I love the quality of texture and detail you've brought to these fabulous images without sacrificing the all important ingredient of out and out wackiness.

    Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete